September 8, 2016

Week 1 Current Practices of Distance Learning

Week 1: What theories of research can inform your current practice of distance learning?

            When I began reading this week’s materials, I was thinking about my own personal experience with distance courses. Like us all, I am attempting to learn all about technology in education via online courses through a University. Not only am I learning useful information but also I am seeking out a Masters Degree. Not much thought has gone into who I am as a learner in distance courses other than sometimes I feel overwhelmed with needing to learn the material independently. Well I felt relieved when I realized that learning in a distance course has research and support to become a successful student and teacher.

            The research done how Transactional Distance is attributed to two main foundations in the distance courses, structure and dialogue, got me thinking about how these two foundations are formed really determine the success of the course. Structure refers to the course materials, the presentation of concepts, the assessments, the presentations, the projects, the visual and audio aspects, and anything else that the students will come in contact with. The dialogue refers to the interactions between the student and the teacher and how these interactions come to happen such as through email, direct conversation, formal directions, and purposeful interactions about the course. (Moore & Kearsley, 2012) These two foundations mainly the dialogue can be somewhat controlled by the student. I can make sure that I seek the dialogue with my teacher and my peers that is warranted to learn the most I can in every course I take. I know now that these interactions are very important to make my distance courses successful.

            The research on policies for distance courses really intrigues me because it seems that there are a lot more potential bumps in the road for teachers who have distance courses. Therefore I wanted to research a bit more on the supports that are given for these teachers. At Clarion University, professors who teach an online course must take a 5-week Teaching Online Certification Course, which is offered by the university’s Learning Technology Center (Claron University). In the Collective Bargaining Agreement between Association of Pennsylvania State College and University Faculties and Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education, the “University shall assure the availability of technical support professional(s) and instructional design professional(s) and materials appropriate to the principal technology and consistent with the Faculty Member’s prior training and experience.” (APSCUF & State System, 2015) This information is exciting for me as a teacher who might have to conduct my own distance courses.


Association of Pennsylvania State College and University Faculties and Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (2015). Collective Bargaining Agreement. Found at http://www.passhe.edu/inside/hr/syshr/bargaining_agreements/apscuf_agr.pdf
Claron Universtiy. Collective Bargaining Agreement on Distance Education. Found at http://www.clarion.edu/locations/clarion-online/resources-for-faculty/collective-bargaining-agreement-on-distance-education.html

Moore, M., & Kearsley, G. (2012). Distance Education: A Systems View of Online Learning. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth Cengage Learning.

3 comments:

  1. Mariah,
    I like how you discuss the importance of engaging in dialogue during our taking of online classes. Like you, I've felt overwhelmed with the demands of some online courses where I've had to plow through them on my own. Engaging in classes where we can have authentic communication through Twitter, blog responses and Blackboard lets me connect with my teacher and classmates even though we aren't in physical proximity to one another. This type of distance learning works much better for me since I can speak with others who are having similar experiences and not feel so alone. I agree with you that educators who teach distance courses need training in how to effectively teach students when they can't share the same location. It's exciting to see that there are universities who support this idea. Thanks for sharing your ideas.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mariah- I agree that the two main foundation are structure and dialogue. I know that without those two I would of been completely lost when I was taking classes online. I have taken classes before without structure or dialogue and it was very frustrating. I wonder about teachers in Alaska if they have to take a online course like they do in Pennsylvania. That would be interesting to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mariah,
    As technology continues developing, the requirements for teachers are getting higher and higher. Research on the support that is given for the teachers who have distance courses defiantly is a very interesting angle and is also very necessary. Hope you can share more information about that as your research goes on. Good luck~

    ReplyDelete