March 5, 2017

Week 7 Reflection

Going into this week I was very excited to spend the time I put aside for this class on researching and playing with a new program that I might use in my classroom. Out of all of the resources that Professor Lee provided I was interested in the programs that had video support. I am starting to think about how I can include videos into my classroom to connect with students who seem to not be engaged in the traditional way of learning information from the teacher. Also I am seeking ways to make my class sustainable if I am to be gone. Two weeks after Spring Break I am going to be gone in Europe taking 13 students. Thankfully, my substitute is a Science teacher and very capable in teaching mathematics but I am a bit worried about my Calculus course. Therefore I found an amazing software called EdPuzzle that I take already made videos and edit them to be interactive.

I looked at my classmates' blogs and I was so impressed and surprised by how many of them were intrigued by the program they evaluated. I noticed that many of the technologies are able to be used in assessing students. This is so necessary in having differentiated instruction in the classroom. Being able to know where each students is in the class content creates the instruction to be tailored for the individual students.

Kendra presented a little bit about Nearpod which seems like a great resource of interactive activities that might be free or can be bought for little. A lesson can potentially have multiple aspects such as a pre and post assessments, videos, practice problems, and content. It reminds me a bit of Khan Academy which might be better for me. For Gerald, I inquired after the Statistics program on whether or not this is for a unit or for a Statistics course. It seems a bit more involve than what I envision in my classroom but keeping to differentiated instruction, this will give opportunities for students who need to manipulate and see the effects to understand better. After seeing his response I plan to look into it for when I do a statistics unit with my classes.

A few other of my classmates researched software that I have already used. Kahoot is something I have used but I plan to use it more as an assessment piece. I will need to save the data given by the program.

No comments:

Post a Comment