March 12, 2017

Week 8 Reflection

This week I commented on Rachelle’s, Jim’s, and Cherie’s blog. It was amazing to see how each one of them had a different focus than each other. All of their ideas really helped me reflect on my own week with a student that needs more than learning support because of the fact that his home life is not stable.
I learned quite a bit this week but the main thing that I am going to apply to my classroom is that learning can’t happen if the brain is not ready. I am going to add in activities to help the brain get ready for learning. For example, I would like to have about a one-minute exchange from Math Review to new material in direct instruction. My plan is to have a different student each day ready with a school appropriate song to play for the minute while the students are getting out their notebook, homework, math book, etc. Another thing I would like to have the students do when they walk in is let me know if they are ready to learn today or not. In what way I am not sure but I am thinking about having multiple ways to do this such as telling me when they walk in the door via verbal or planned communication such as sign language. Maybe I will have them answer a 2-3 survey that only I can see via computers or text. The reason I want to know is so that I can work with each student in the way that they need it for that class period.

Lastly, a revelation that I need to think on more that I got while reading Jim’s post is how the brain needs time to fully learn something. Where do I get this time or how do I carve it into my classroom? Is the direct instruction time to long? How can I break up this class better so that learning can be committed to memory? Lots of questions I am still asking myself as a somewhat new teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment