March 2, 2017

Week Seven: Appropriateness of my Program


Essential Question: What is the appropriateness of (the software you choose) to your students, your classroom and your unit?

I picked to work with EdPuzzle which is an online only program to edit videos to be more interactive by adding in voice clips and questions for students to answer. After taking a few hours to play around in the program by editing my videos and reflecting on the effectiveness of the program, I have decided that the program will be very useful for my unit. In my Calculus class students are always asking how to do the same problem and having this ability to make an interactive video on this problem will help my sanity as a teacher by not having to explain it 8 times separately. It gives the student what they need by running through an example of the problem but adding on an interactive question such as what step will we make next and they can pick from a multiple choice.

My students will enjoy this much more than a video. They need the ability to have an input for them to understand the concepts fully. In my classroom, it is easy to use videos because all of the students have computers and the internet works most of the time.

Please watch my video here and participate in the questions asked.


Also here is my evaluation of the program. Thank you for watching!

6 comments:

  1. Interesting way to use videos. I suppose it would make more sense if you actually understand the person who is talking! I like how you can pause the video and ask questions and insert an audio comment. Making it interactive will help students be more attentive if they know they will be asked questions. Are you saying that you would video yourself doing calculus problems, and kids can refer to them instead of you replying to separate students individually? Sounds like a nice way to differentiate. I don’t know EdPuzzle, but I would have never thought it was a video editing program to make it interactive. I suppose my program is SAS, and sounds more like attitude than a statistics software program! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking about making my own videos and then editing. On concepts though, I plan to take already made videos and insert comments and questions so it is more interactive.

      Delete
  2. The title of the program was a little misconceiving. I would not have thought that it was a video editing software. This website could also be a new program that students use for a class project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that in nursing education my specific students greatly appreciate the tools that allow them to listen to the directions with the ability to pause and replay for better understanding and retention of the information. With the tool you reviewed this takes it a step further for more interaction if I understand it correctly. I agree with Gerald, what a great way to provide differentiated instruction for your students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could see using this type of program in a social studies setting. If you get tired of explaining yourself over and over again (and who of us doesn't), and your kids have computers/internet, might want to check out lessons on Khan Academy if you haven't already. Good review/differentiation for lessons you've already covered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The great thing is we can take the Khan videos and input our audio especially at points that might need a little bit more explaining. Usually what I do is just pause the video for the whole class and say what I need. Now with EdPuzzle you can do that in the video itself. I love adding in the questions which tells me whether or not a student is understanding or paying attention.

      Delete