November 10, 2016

EDET679 Gamification Week 10 Blog

EDET679 Gamification Week 10 Blog

Essential Question: How would you change the rubric for the final project to better reflect what is important in games?

            After reading the rubric, I think most parts are key on reflecting about gamification in the course. There is one big idea that I struggle with is the fact on how can I strive for “Exceeds” and still be realistic in what gamifying my class actually might work out considering the fact that I have never done it. For the majority of the criterion, I understand gamification enough in theory to be able to meet them but as a student I would like to try my best and exceed in the criterion. Therefore, the first thing that I see as a flaw in the rubric is that there isn’t a chance for the teacher to start small and then create more of the gamification off of this small beginning. Matera both encourage teachers who are beginning to adopt gamification in the classroom that this could and is suggested to be implemented at a small level and then begin to grow the storyline and the game of the classroom as time goes on (2015). Keeler also suggests in the beginning of gamifying your classroom, start with some basic gamifying concepts and tools that you might have picked up from playing a game on your phone with the eyes and thoughts of a teacher (2014). I can definitely begin implementing gamification in my classroom to help understand the ins and outs of gamification a bit more but I do not think my ideas will grow to the level of “Exceeds” by the time of the final project is due.

            The criteria include the main aspects of gamification in the classroom. One main part of gamifying a classroom that isn’t included in the rubric is how to explain to present the gamified class (assuming the whole year or semester is going to be gamified) to the students, parents, and administrators. Having a classroom that seems to have games as the main form of learning can make many people hesitant about what is actually happening in the classroom and how much learning is actually happening. The criterion I would add is “Communication to the community” and what I mean by community is the people around the student and the teacher. It is possible that a teacher might not have enough support to implement a gamified class and being prepared on presenting solid facts and ideas about how gamifying a classroom will enhance learning is very important.

            Lastly, in the explanation of the rubric I would ask that we can strive for “Exceeds” in two or three of the criteria so that when we go to implement gamification in our classroom we feel confident in how to begin engaging students with this method of teaching.



Alice Keeler: Getting Started with Games Based Learning. (Feb., 20, 2016). Retrieved from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ_UKW_AFOU.


Matera, M. (2015). Explore like a pirate. San Diego, CA: Dave Burgess Consulting, Inc.

5 comments:

  1. I don't think we need to implement our plan before the semester is over, we just need to have a plan of implementation. I agree that it would difficult to get "exceed" ratings from the rubric. But I don't anyone that would get "exceed" ratings the very first time, unless you are an incredible student. There is always room for improvement. I can't recall any teacher that has "superior" ratings on their evalution for that matter. It's a goal to attain that type of rating, but it is still good to get "meets" ratings, and one should (sort of) expect to get "needs improvement". For students, it's important to fail, and then improve based of feedback. We need to change this mindset of failing means failing forever. You can always improve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mariah- I feel the same way. I am not sure how I can strive for “Exceeds” as well since I have never done gamification in my class. I thought the rubric was pretty good and reflected what was most important in games. Yes! That is me as well I want to try to succeed and do my best! This is a very good point Matera encourage teachers who are beginning to adopt gamification in the classroom to be implemented at a small level. I already felt overwhelmed when I read the chapter on all the games badges and things like that. I was like “Wow” this is a lot. I would have to start very small. I did not see that on the rubric but remember Matera sent out a letter to parents. I like your idea about communication to the community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mariah,

    Yes, exceeds does look like a lot for being new at this. I believe that the nature of beginning small and developing connections begins with a plan. On the other hand, I also believe that a plan develops along the way as we observe student learning. Maybe gamifying a classroom can be viewed as an overarching theme that ties together centers across the classroom. Gamifying includes technology but also doing a lot of the normal activities; such as, developing think-pair-share, inside/outside vocabulary practice, and other discussion or physical movement activities that lead students toward deeper thinking.

    I have struggled with many of the same thoughts you are describing. As I write, I am thinking that gamifying is one part of the story of developing student engagement. There are so many learning strategies right now coming at us as teachers; such as for sheltered instruction for English Language Learners, that we become the artist and start creating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mariah,

    I'll be the first to admit that I fall into that overachieving category of student and teacher who is not happy meeting the criteria, but striving to exceed it. When I first looked at the rubric, this desire to not just be proficient, but advanced, made me cringe a bit at the "exceeds" column. After some reflecting, I became more comfortable with these high demands. In fact, I use making one of the areas more stringent. Just because we are new and inexperienced at the process doesn't mean we need to lower to bar and reduce the rigor of the overall task. Because we strive for excellence, we will get there in time with the proper amount of effort (and likely, numerous failures)!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ETA: "I use making" should read "I ended up making"

      Delete