October 3, 2017

EDET 636 Impact of Tech Week 4 Blog

EDET 636 Impact of Technology on Student Learning
Week 4 Blog
Essential Question: What literature will inform your research?

            I began my research knowing that I will be looking into how computer-assisted learning supports a positive classroom environment and whether or not it is more effective than the traditional learning. I found many articles connected to computer-assisted learning but then I wanted to start focusing my research on more of a part of the learning. I began to look up how computer-assisted learning programs are used in RTI type settings. This is where I think I will develop my action research a bit more because I have about 10 minutes everyday focused on RTI and the method I am using for it has worked but it could be better with a computer-based program. The program I am interested in using in my action research is IXL because our school just bought the licenses for the program and I look forward to seeing its effectiveness in my everyday Algebra 1 classroom.

Resources:

Gardenhire, A., Diamond, J., Headlam, C., Weiss, M. J., & MDRC. (2016). At Their Own Pace: Interim Findings from an Evaluation of a Computer-Assisted, Modular Approach to Developmental Math.

Gross, T. J., & Duhon, G. (2013). Evaluation of Computer-Assisted Instruction for Math Accuracy Intervention. Journal Of Applied School Psychology29(3), 246. doi:10.1080/15377903.2013.810127

Lewis, J. (2015). Bringing Excitement to the Common Core. www.ixl.com Enterprise, Mississippi. Retrieved from https://www.ixl.com/case-studies/Enterprise-HS-Mississippi-Math.pdf

McDonough, I., & Tra, C. (2017). The impact of computer-based tutorials on high school math proficiency. Empirical Economics52(3), 1041. doi:10.1007/s00181-016-1189-y

Min Wook Ok1, m., & Bryant, D. P. (2016). Effects of a Strategic Intervention With iPad Practice on the Multiplication Fact Performance of Fifth-Grade Students With Learning Disabilities. Learning Disability Quarterly39(3), 146-158.

Quillen, I. (2011). Math educators see the right angles for digital tools; teachers use adaptive-learning software, on-demand videos to customize learning. Education Week, (35).

Rhymer, T. (2013). Algebra for All-With Help from IXL. www.ixl.com Columbus, Ohio. Retrieved from https://www.ixl.com/case-studies/Horizon-Science-HS-Ohio-Math.pdf

Sampayo-Vargas, S., Cope, C. J., He, Z., & Byrne, G. J. (2013). The effectiveness of adaptive difficulty adjustments on students' motivation and learning in an educational computer game. Computers & Education69452-462. doi:10.1016/j.compedu.2013.07.004

Smith, T. (2017). Math instruction + edtech tools = success. Technology & Learning, (6). 24.

Yager, A. (2010). IXL Math Evaluation Prepared for MUSD by West Coast Research. Retrieved from https://allisonyager.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/evaluation-final-project.pdf

Yildirim, I. (2017). The effects of gamification-based teaching practices on student achievement and students' attitudes toward lessons. The Internet And Higher Education3386-92. doi:10.1016/j.iheduc.2017.02.002


Zimmer, S. (2016). COMPUTER-ASSISTED INSTRUCTION. Applied Science: Information Systems, 1.

1 comment:

  1. Just read the IXL Math website description. Sounds like you are using it for RTI. That's great. I think you will see improvement in achievement of students with regular use. From the description, it sounds like a version of Khan Academy, but more teacher control. I like Khan, but it is too student centered for my taste for incorporating in class. I suppose that is the point! Good luck with your research.

    ReplyDelete