October 28, 2017

EDET 636 Impact of Tech Week 8 Blog

EDET 636 Impact of Technology on Students
Week 8 Blog
Essential Question: How can data mining assist you in triangulating your research findings?

            Data mining is a method of research that finds useful types of data and looks at the patterns in the data to produce useful knowledge. Ma and Capri share that the techniques of research and interpreting data included in data mining are “decision trees, neural networks, rule induction, machine learning, and graphic visualization.” (2014, pg. vii) Martínez and López say that data mining requires a large amount of data “to extract the relationship between variables.” (2017, pg.41) With this said, I don’t know if I will be able to use data mining in my research because I will not be able to produce enough data and with the research I have done, I can’t find data this is directly connected to my action research.
            Through an example of research done in Mexico that required the use of data mining presented by Martínez and López, I can dismiss the variables of student engagement that are the least explanatory. Then I identify what variable might affect the student engagement and mess with the variables underneath that and see what patterns that I find. This should be repeated with every variable at the higher level. When it is all repeated and finished, then I look at what set of variables have a higher correlation of a positive impact on student engagement. (2017, pg.45)

            UPDATE: I have been collecting data through the IXL math program. It provides the amount of time in each skill and the amount of questions answered correctly and incorrectly. I have not given an assessment of the topics learned yet but I will be doing this next week. This will test the retaining of skills being learned through the program. With the data collected so far, I have seen more engagement in the Math Review but not as strong of understanding the concepts. Next week, after the assessment, I will be changing the format of this online RTI by providing a mini-lesson before and after the time allotted.


Resources:

Ma, X., & Capri, H. L. (2014). Data Mining : Principles, Applications and Emerging Challenges. Hauppauge, New York: Nova Science Publishers, Inc.


Martínez Abad, F., & López, A. C. (2017). Data-mining techniques in detecting factors linked to academic achievement. School Effectiveness And School Improvement28(1), 39-55. doi:10.1080/09243453.2016.1235591

4 comments:

  1. Mariah,
    I love finding the patterns in recorded data. I think it helps us see what is working and even more important – what is not working. You have a great realistic view that you are able to evaluate that data mining is not something that you think you can incorporate into your project. I am often too quick to say, yes I can do.

    Josie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's difficult to conduct any statistical analysis with a small sample size, but I have read some research that was qualitative in nature that reported findings with SIX students! So you can be assured that you can report your findings and just note that the sample size is very small to be statistically significant, but you can at least go through the "motions" of analysis. I am very lucky to have a good sample size, and a large historical sample size to make some comparisons, otherwise, I would be in the same situation as you! Be strong and make some inferences. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look for attitudes and behaviors as well as work. Students can show what they understand by how they behave when working. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great points! I agree that I felt like I have too small of a sample to make data mining effective. But after reading other comments, perhaps it isn't so farfetched afterall!

    ReplyDelete