November 12, 2017

EDET 636 Impact of Tech Week 9 Blog

EDET 636 Impact of Student Technology
Week 9 Blog
Essential Question: How will you go about making sense of your data?

            In order to make sense of my data, I will start analyzing data as it is being collected instead of waiting till the research project is finished to analyze the data. As the data is being analyzed, I will look for themes or categories that are created through organizing the data. These themes should begin to answer the essential questions of the action research. (Merriam & Tisdell, 2016) As I am collecting data, I will end up using this data to help direct my next move in the research. For example, my students took their first IXL assessment to test whether or not they are retaining the skills that they have learned through this method of RTI via an online component and the data directed me to use a different approach to the online RTI. I decided to require students to have a notebook while working on IXL. The first two minutes we would write notes on the math skill we are working on and then the students would write down each problem that they are solving on the computer. This method was decided because of analyzing data right away and next week, I will be able to analyze this data after the second IXL assessment.

            The other data that I will need to try and make sense of is the qualitative data from student surveys of the two methods of RTI, online IXL and paper Math Review. The data will be collected through Google Forms and there are ways through this method to analyze the data. Graphs can be created especially if there are given options as answers to questions. The data can be exported to Excel of which can be used to create various visuals for the data. Hsu and Wang have used Google Forms to collect data for a classroom activity and they found that students have a great insight of data. (2017) With this said, I would like to present the data that I get from students and ask them to help me analyze. This gives students a chance to engage in the research. It seems like other teachers in our class has had success when the students are aware of the action research.

Resources:

Hsu, H., & Wang, S. (2017). Using Google Forms to collect and analyze data. Science Scope, (8). 64.

Merriam, S. B. & Tisdell, E. J. (2016). Qualitative Research: A Guide to Design and Implementation. San Franciso, CA. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.


1 comment:

  1. I like your idea of getting students involved with the analysis! My statistics students asked me if they can analyze it, but I initially said no. :-( But I may reconsider after reading your plan. It would give some valuable insight. Kids are curious about themselves so it makes sense they want to be involved in some way. Great idea. :-)

    ReplyDelete