November 26, 2017

EDET 636 Impact of Tech Week 12 Blog

EDET 636 Impact of Technology on Students
Week 12 Blog
Essential Question: What are the characteristics of an engaging Action Research Report?

            I was very impressed reading the examples of a final written up action research given on our class website. Surprisingly, it was interesting and enjoyable to read the action research projects. I felt connected to the author and understood the reasoning behind the research and the findings of the research. Honestly, I did not think of my action research write up as something that can be interesting enough that someone would read through the whole paper and not just skip down to the findings.
            In my beginning section I will make sure to personalize the reasons of research as much as possible. Hermann gives a great example of how she personalized her introduction. “For the last few years, I have been working with ESOL students who have had limited or interrupted schooling in their home country. This year most of my students come from Somalia, El Salvador, or Pakistan. Often these students have had to deal with the effects of war, poverty, and social upheaval.” (2002) She goes on to give specific examples of her school and students and how these situations have directed her action research. Having examples that the reader can understand and be apart of provides an engaging action research report.
            Another part of reports that I found to be engaging in an example provided by Hermann was the section where he shared what he would do different if he were to do it all over again. “The first thing I’d change is the essay writing evaluation tool I used. But the students and I did not feel comfortable with the writing to the prompt activity.” (2002) This reflection gives the reader and the researcher the ability to see what parts of the action research was either flawed or did not work as planned. Having a section of reflection gives another way to engage the reader into the action research.

UPDATE: I am analyzing my data right now and then I will begin the first draft of my write up.

Resources:

Hermann, K. (2002). Teaching Science to High School Students Who Have Limited Formal Schooling. Fairfax, VA: Annandale High School. Retrieved from https://gse.gmu.edu/assets/docs/lmtip/vol2/K.Hermann_limited.pdf


O’Halloran, D. (200). The Joy of Writing: Creating a Class Culture for Writing. Fairfax, VA: J.E.B. Stuart High School. Retrieved from https://gse.gmu.edu/assets/docs/lmtip/vol1/D.OHalloran.pdf

2 comments:

  1. Mariah,
    I choose two different articles to read than you did, but we can to the same conclusions that the example writings were “interesting and enjoyable to read.” These are my goals too as I am writing my AR final. I hope that I am able to keep the interest of the readers from the beginning to the end. Good luck on your writings as well.

    Josie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how I can make my research personable. I didn't have a "problem" to begin with, I just wanted to explore a new method of incorporating technology in daily practice to "track" progress and hopefully increase achievement. No special story or struggle. I personally couldn't relate to those action research examples that were listed on the class website. I think it's because I don't have that story telling characteristic that some people seem to possess, and I struggle with reading other people's stories. (no offense to those report writers). I suppose I'm a "just the facts" kind of person. I'm afraid my report will be dreadful to read. We will see!

    ReplyDelete