June 1, 2017

EDET 677 Mech App Week 3 Blog

EDET 677 Mechanical Applications of Technology
Week Three Blog
Essential Question:  To what extent should we allow students to figure things out for themselves?

            Even though I didn’t finish school too long ago, graduated high school in 2010, I was taught in a very traditional manner especially when it came to mathematics. To me this included that material was presented to me not discovered through an activity and not very often did I have to come up with main ideas on my own. Also, I never really struggled with the subject until I got to college when professors weren’t as able to (or willing to) help me with my computations and the higher order processing skills that go along with it. Therefore, I did learn how to struggle but it wasn’t the best experience for me at that time. As a math teacher I must make a point to not help a student when they are struggling to figure out a math problem. Even if I ask the student and they say no, it is very tough for me to walk away and let the student try on their own. Even if it is difficult for me to do, I do think that teachers need to let students struggle on a regular basis or figure out concepts being learned in class on their own.

            Seeley explains that students should go through a constructive struggling stage versus a pointless frustration stage. “Constructive struggling can happen when a skillful teacher gives students engaging yet challenging problems.” (Seeley, 2013) To provide students with constructive struggling, teachers shouldn’t give remote short problems but rather a longer more difficult problem that is supported with the correct questions to lead learning if necessary. I agree with Seeley that the classroom needs to have more constructive struggling for students because the struggling can help develop other skills such as perseverance, endurance, creativity, collaboration, and other skills that might not be taught or practiced if students didn’t get the chance to struggle in class.
            STEAM is an acronym that stands for science, technology, engineering, art, and mathematics in education. STEAM courses provide many ways to improve thinking processes. Struggling is important for creating something to solve a problem so that students can go above and beyond to solve it. Martinez and Stager provide some thinking processes that are much more applicable than the linear and traditional scientific process. These thinking models include the Spiral Design, Iterative Development, Resnik’s Imagine Create Play Share Reflect, and TMI (think, make, create). (2013)
            There is an art to what extent we let our students struggle in respect to the level of the students skill set. Looking at the figure below provided by Seeley, the most learning is happening for high level skilled students when the challenge level is high, for middle level skilled students need medium to high challenge level, and for low level skilled students need to focus on skills and have some strong guidance (2009). See the figure below.

Resources:

Martinez, S. L., & Stager, G (2013). Invent to Learn: Making, Tinkering, and Engineering in the Classroom. Torrence, CA: Construction Modern Knowledge Press.

Seeley, C. L. (2009). Constructive Struggling: The Value of Challenging Our Students. From Faster Isn’t Smarter: Math Solutions. Retrieved from http://www.mathsolutions.com/documents/9781935099031_message17.pdf

Strauss, V. (2015). What is the value of letting students struggle in class? Teachers answer. The Washington Post. Retrieved from https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2015/04/21/what-is-the-value-of-letting-students-struggle-in-class-teachers-answer/

5 comments:

  1. I agree that math teachers need to let students struggle. But I keep thinking how do we let students that have a fixed mindset struggle and have that struggle be beneficial? These student are quickly able to struggle and then give up, in willing to try anymore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very difficult situation. Maybe we can model a way to get past struggling such as researching a problem or looking back at the book for a similar example. I think this is where perseverance comes into the students learning of mathematics.

      Delete
  2. I struggled as a learner also, but I didn't stick with it or put the effort into my learning. It wasn't until I was challenged in college and finally figured out that I wanted to become a teacher did I finally put the effort needed. I struggled a lot but figured it out. I guess the point is a student will struggle as much as they want for any topic. A teacher challenge is to motivate and develop relationships so they are willing to struggle more than I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a hard time with this too: "Even if I ask the student and they say no, it is very tough for me to walk away and let the student try on their own." I have such a hard time letting students try things on their own and tend to want to just show them how to do it, even though I know they don't learn that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good thoughts. I think it is a continuum. On one end we allow the students to figure it all out on their own and on the other end we tell them how to do everything and expect them to do as they are told. How far do we go toward which end? Most of what we teach is somewhere in the middle, but perhaps we could begin to move toward the figure it out themselves a bit more.

    ReplyDelete