June 16, 2017

EDET 678 Emerge Tech Week 5 Blog

EDET 678 Emerging Technologies
Week 5 Blog
Essential Question: Design an object that could be classified as belonging to “The Internet of Things” and describe how it could contribute to your classroom.

            I have never heard the term Internet of Things, IoT, until I read the articles provided for us. According to Kobie, IoT is “about connecting devices over the internet, letting them talk to us, applications, and each other.” (2015) For example, my Apple products all speak to each other through the internet and my Apple ID that I have on each device. I recently bought a new cellphone and to confirm my identity for using my Apple ID on this new product, Apple sent my computer a code that I would need to input to the phone. I also can push different material such as a book that I am reading on Kindle to any of my devices (iPhone, MacBook Air, or iPad). Now when I don’t have my computer and I am bored at the dentist, I can read my textbook that is located on my computer but rather on my phone. The great part of this IoT, my security is protected and it is easy to work between various devices.
            The possibilities when it comes to IoT in the classroom is endless and Meyers gives an example in his article that shows how powerful IoT can be when used properly. “Imagine how pattern recognition software or data analytics might add to the teacher’s contextual understanding by then mapping the record of behavioral incidents against a student’s cognitive activity, heart rate, or the classroom temperature.” (2014) How many times have I wanted to know what factors create behaviors to be more frequent within students. This got me to thinking that IoT’s should be researched and approached in coming up with ways to solve problems within the classroom.
            After talking to my friend who is an elementary teacher about what is a problem in her classroom that maybe I can tackle in how to fix the problem or support the teacher in fixing the problem. She confided in me that behavior is a major problem in her classroom and managing the students’ physical behavior is a big part of that. SO we started brainstorming and we have thought of a chair and ground piece (near the feet) that tracks the movements of the students and has mechanics on it to let them fidget around without distracting other students. The IoT part of this technology is that it is connected to a teacher’s iWatch, iPad, or any device and provides data on all of the students’ movements. It might show that Jimmy can only stay focused and sitting still for a 30 minute time period and Jill has a hard time staying awake around 2 pm every single day. This might give the teacher more of an idea on how to create a schedule either for the whole class or the individual students of which they can stay focused or not misbehave. It is true that a teacher can do this without a “super chair” but its helpful to have the data already created for the teacher.




References:

Kobie, N. (2013). What is the internet of things? The Guardian. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/may/06/what-is-the-internet-of-things-google


Meyers, M. (2014) Can the internet of things make education more student-focused? Deloitte Development LLC. Retrieved from http://government-2020.dupress.com/can-internet-things-make-education-student-focused/

photo retrieved from http://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=%2bXhfvNhK&id=179FBC870E8B683E265521B9E9A4E1887BDC3B9E&thid=OIP.-XhfvNhKM0OUnE0wraIIvAEsDg&q=chair+of+the+future&simid=608034097828004930&selectedIndex=4&ajaxhist=0

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea. I especially like that you brought up that not only would this collect data, but that it would also allow the opportunity to fidget. I often find myself giving students a hard time about doodling or fidgeting when I give instructions, but when I am in the role of a student, these things actually help me to focus. So instead of fighting against it, how can we make room for it and get data out of it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to laugh at the chair picture. Just how much we want the chair to collect is questionable. I like the idea, but have to wonder about it. Maybe a simple wristband would do the trick.

    ReplyDelete