June 12, 2017

EDET 677 Mech App Week 4 Reflection

I found it difficult to come up with a project that uses makerspace pedagogy and connects to the AK Mathematics Standards at the high school level. I also teach high level mathematics such as Pre-Calculus, Algebra 2, and Calculus which is very important to have technical skills such as simplifying rational expressions and graphing polynomials using only algebra techniques. I had to focus on some of the basic skills that my Geometry or Pre-Algebra students might be focusing on. I am trying to figure out how much makerspaces and place-based education can be connected. How can I connect the making in a classroom to the community and environment of my town? If I connect these two learning and teaching processes, I know that students will be interested and motivated in learning.

My classmates had some great ideas with what they can do for their making in their classroom. I really like reading about the process of what to do and I need to focus on how I can bring experts into my classroom. There were quite a few of my classmates who focused on this part of makerspaces.

No comments:

Post a Comment