October 7, 2016

EDET679 Gamification Week 5

Week 5 Gamification and Open Education

What research can support of refute Matera’s claims?

            The author of Explore like a Pirate, Michael Matera, makes many claims on how gamification of a classroom affects learning and participation of the students. As a teacher who works with students who might seem bored or not engaged in the class, I would like for all of the claims that he makes about how gamifying a classroom improves participation in the classroom. With this said, I took two of his claims and researched whether or not I can accept them and run with the idea of gamifying my classroom.
            Matera claims that “games make kids want to learn” (2015). He brought up the fact earlier in the book that as kids we played games with family and friends of which lots of laughter and intrigue came from it. As adults we play games to have a connection with others and connect to our desire to achieve a goal of winning or of doing better than the last time.  A major part of games is reward for doing something correctly and Howard-Jones connects how reward does improve learning in a classroom. He proves how “education may benefit from learning games with rapid uncertain reward schedules.” (2016) Adults were given a quiz game and explained that they would win points from selecting one of the boxes and answering the question correctly. The brain activity of the adults during the game bridged a gap that makes learning happen and happen successfully. This research supports the claim made.
            Another claim that Matera makes is that “gamification allows teachers to create challenging and motivation experiences.” (2015) An interesting research experiment that I came across was looking at how fourth graders feel motivated and challenged about the science material being covered in one of three ways: use a gamified app on a phone with guidance from teacher, use an informational app on a phone with guidance from a teacher, and use a traditional form of learning (books) with guidance from a teacher. Su and Cheng found from this experiment that the students who used the gamified app felt more excited about the material and was motivated to go above and beyond what was asked from the teacher (2015). The app on the phone that was purely informational such as providing identification of an insect had more participation than the traditional model. With this said the students were only motivated for a short period of time. In my opinion, this research also supports the claim that gamification gives opportunities for more motivating and challenging experiences.



Howard-Jones, P. A., & Jay, T. (2016). Reward, learning and games. Current Opinion In Behavioral Sciences1065-72. doi:10.1016/j.cobeha.2016.04.015

Matera, M. (2015). Explore like a pirate. San Diego, CA: Dave Burgess Consulting, Inc.

Su, C., & Cheng, C. (2015). A mobile gamification learning system for improving the learning motivation and achievements. Journal Of Computer Assisted Learning31(3), 268-286.


3 comments:

  1. Mariah,

    A point you made about how we as adults use games to connect with each other is so true. I remember playing pinochle with a couple once or twice a week. We laughed and continued staying in the game as long as we could. Though seeking to be the winners and passing the winners plaque to be presented in that couple’s home, the competition was only part of it.

    I was updating computers last week so that the Internet textbooks would be interactive in certain sections. As I think of your example of a student who used an app and was very happy using it, then got bored, I thought about how we as teachers are constantly thinking of variations for learning. Over time, the goal is that they would pursue their own paths related to the objective, but in a way that suits their individual interests. You are very busy with 4th graders each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your description of the quiz game reminds me of the TV show Brain Games. There seems to be more research into how the brain functions, and scientists can understand the unknowns about the brain we have had for centuries. You describe yourself as a "math nerd." I suppose I would describe myself as a "statistics nerd." :-) I want to see more evidence that games really work in learning. One study does not make a case that gamification works. If you have a chance to view my post, I state that only half the public plays games (specifically video games). What about the people that don't like games? How did they fair on the quiz? I'm not trying to devalue your statements. Matera did state in his book that Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi said “It seems increasingly clear that the chief impediments to learning are not cognitive in nature. It is not that students cannot learn; it is that they do not wish to.” I see this too often in my experiences in high school, and I see students drop out EVERY year. Is games the answer? I don't know, but I want to see more evidence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your post, Mariah.

    After reading your post, I also read the comments. I tend to agree with Gerald when it comes to the number of studies that have been done to support gamification in the classroom. As a scientist, I want to see results replicated, with hard data, before I drop everything and try another "fad." When I do something in my room, especially something I put a lot of time into as Matera did with his gamification process, my view of the outcomes might be slightly skewed compared to an unbiased view of an outsider.

    There was a recent article which looked at FitBits and their impact on weight loss. Unless the FitBits were tied to monetary rewards, just wearing the device actually resulted in the least amount of weight loss among three different groups in the study. Here's a link if you want to read the article. It is actually quite intriguing.

    http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/09/20/494631423/weight-loss-on-your-wrist-fitness-trackers-may-not-help

    ReplyDelete